Friday 8 November 2013

Bleh

So there's this place, called Working Links, and they're supposed to help you get back into employment and shit. They send out mass emails filled with job applications ranging from Shop Assisstant to Brain Surgen (okay that's a lie but you get the point) spend little to no energy actually trying to help people, despite what their shitty posters say.

My advisor is a dick. No wait, that's an insult to male anatomy. He's an asshole, no one likes assholes. Anyway, this guy...oh my God, this guy. I leave that building every time with my hands itching because I want to slap his self rightous smug filled smile off his face. He acts like his helping me is some kind of service to society, when in reality he's just a glorified Googler. Seriously, I do what he does the only difference is I don't get paid for it.


Oh and then there's the commission they get when you find a job. Regardless of whether they helped you or whether you got it all by yourself, they get given a nice fat check to say "good work" whilst you're shoved out the door with no further support.

The only good thing about this place is the Bus Tokens. They're little pieces of paper you hand over to bus drivers in exchange for a ticket. They're lifesavers but, apparently, despite being in cahooze with the Jobcentre people aren't supposed to use these tickets to get to the Jobcentre.

Colour me surprised. He's been giving me tickets for just that reason for MONTHS. And just this past week I had to use my last one to get to an emergancy meeting at the JC, the kind of meeting where if you're a whole 10 seconds late your money gets stopped. Afterwards I swung by WL to try and get another ticket, as I have a meeting with my Advisor at the end of this month, only to be told to stuff it basically.

It didn't help that the girl on the desk completely twisted everything I said so before he even got to the front I could see him shaking his fucking head.

"I had to use my ticket to get to the Jobcentre today, it was out of my hands and I was wondering if I could get another as I need to see L (my advisor) in a couple of weeks"

Snotty little bitch turns her nose up and picks up the phone "oh sorry, we don't give out tickets for the Jobcentre. But I'll call him over for you"

Bitch. Was that what I said? NO. But thanks for repeating what you said to L, that'll help since he already things that everyone who is jobless is a lying little scumbag so when I explain what really happened to me he'll just think I'm being a scrubby little scrounger. Thanks. Now I'm going to have waste £10 over the next two weeks on bus trips out of my own pocket. Did I mention I live off £200 a month with about £100 of that going on Bills whilst the rest goes on food and savings. No? Oh that's cool L, you just stand there with your arms crossed and that smirk on your face as I struggle to fight back tears whilst mentally re-evaliuating my finances.

But go ahead, keep thinking like you're some fucking White Knight on a golden horse. I hope you fall off it and break your ego. Keep sitting pretty with your cushy job bringing home the bacon to your wife and two kids whilst the people you're supposed to be helping struggle to get by every day. I've left your office in tears more times than I've left smiling, that should be an indicator of how good you're doing.

I wouldn't wish my situation on anyone: living pound to pound. Wearing hand me downs from family members because I can't afford new clothes. Struggling to get up each day. Getting total strangers on the street SPITTING on me when they find out I'm on benefits. Then there's people like L, who are supposed to help me, who instead treat me like the shit on the bottom of their shoes. Complaining does nothing, I've tried, his stupid boss just sits there with a vacent look on her face whilst you verbally vomit all the things he's done to you over the months and when you're done smiles like you're a fucking child and says "we've never had a complaint before"

OH WELL I GUESS THAT'S FINE THEN!

Some days, I come really close. I think about how much I would gloat if I were to learn that these people would be in my position. I think about how much of a kick in the pants it would be. I think of how smug I would feel to see them sitting on the other side of the desk.

But I don't wish it as much as I'd want to...because it's Hell.




No comments:

Post a Comment